Echinacea Extinction?

Jim Wright jwright at agt.net
Thu Aug 13 00:52:20 EST 1998

dwheeler at teleport.com wrote:
>In article <6qommm$sna at priv-sys04-le0.telusplanet.net>,
>  Jim Wright <jwright at agt.net> wrote:
>> A concern, obviously, but judging from the rate a which it is
>> being propagated agriculturally, those high prices won't hold, and
>> natural populations will get a chance to recover, soon.
>>
>> Jim
>>
>Propagation is certainly a possibility Jim. But if anyone is growing it
>commercially, I am unaware of it. Certainly not in the quantities being
>wildcrafted at this time. And the extremely popularity as an immuno-stimulator
>does not bode well for long-term survival.
>
>If you personally know of large-scale cultivation, I hope you will let the ng
>know.

Well the crop is rapidly becoming a fad in Western Canada.  I couldn't
speculate how many acres are being grown, but the potential is for lots.
Please understand that I have *no* expert knowledge, but my impression
that there is a speculative boom happening, something like with
ostriches, gensing, etc.  (If I'd known how much in demand it was, and
how little was being grown I would have got in on the ground floor). :-)
Maybe it's not too late.

Jim