25' buffer around ponds

Larry Harrell fotoware at jps.net
Thu Aug 13 08:53:10 EST 1998

Mike Hagen <mhagen at olympus.net> wrote in article
<35D1C2E4.8D08CBB5 at olympus.net>...
> The times have changed to the point that I have yearly contracts to
> engineer and put log jams INTO creeks and rivers. Without getting
> technical, think of embedded trees and logs as the bones holding the
> soft parts of the bed and bank in place during a channel's meanders
> across the floodplain.  No woody debris, no habitat. All you get is a
> sluice with too much energy to coexist with adjacent land use.

When I was in Idaho on the burn salavage project, The hydrologist actually
welcomed some woody debris to find its way into the streamcourse.
Especially when removing it would cause more damage than leaving it there.
Common sense from an "ologist"!!! With Idaho's decomposed granite, any twig
or pine needle would hold back a little bit of soil. Just as long as the
flow is not diverted, debris is good!
--
       Larry Harrell Fotoware
Making software out of Fotos for over five years now