25' buffer around ponds

KMorrisD kmorrisd at aol.com
Sun Aug 16 10:11:30 EST 1998

>Joseph Zorzin <redoak at forestmeister.com> wrote:

>I've been told that too, but at least around here I've never come across
>anyone complaining about logging as a general principle, only logging
>that was extremely poorly done, and not much of that either. Perhaps the
>DEP burros want us to BELIEVE that a lot of people are complaining.

Egads!  Do you really think they'd MISINFORM US about such a serious matter?
<G>  Nevertheless, 15 towns in Massachusetts have special permit requirements
for harvesting operations--even though the cutting practices act was designed
to prevent just this type of action by towns.

> We'll never
>agree on silviculture, but we have to assume some sort of silviculture
>will be applied by someone who is qualified to know better.

That's the sort of thing I was thinking about--where there's lots of room for
disagreements and therefore need for both some clear rules (or guidelines at
least), plus dispute resolution.  And not so much because foresters can't
resolve their differences, but because neighboring landowners may challenge
cutting practices.

Karl