25' buffer around ponds

NC Lorax (nospam) nclorax at infoave.net
Sun Aug 16 07:26:12 EST 1998

Joseph Zorzin <redoak at forestmeister.com> wrote in article
<35D0FB0E.633B9345 at forestmeister.com>...
> In Massachusetts, our forest cutting practices law mandates NO logging
> tops be left within 25' of a brook or pond.
>
> Around a brook, maybe this is OK, maybe not. If it's a large stream with
> a wide flood plain the buffer should be greater. If the stream is deeply
> entrenched with high banks, in that area the stream isn't likely to ever
> flood, so there is no reason to get religious about keeping tops 25'
> from the water (horizontally that is).
>
> Around ponds, it's nice to leave the pond looking good, but a rigid rule
> that ALL tops must be 25' from the water is just plain nuts.
>
> In a recent logging project- before the job started there was a great
> deal of old top material near the water, lots of dead trees standing,
> lots of Mountain Laurel, etc. You could hardly even walk around the
> place.
>
> The logger probably removed 98% of the fresh tops from within that 25'
> of the pond. And he actually removed much of what was there before he
> showed up. But the state service forester, read in his little rule book
> that there should be NO tops within that 25'. So he's busting our balls
> to get every last twig.
>
> Snip
>
> Joseph Zorzin

Above you mentioned that before the job started there were considerable
natural debris within the 25 feet limit.  Does your state law make you
responsible for natural debris? If the State Forest Service had been
requested to look at the tract prior to harvesting, to document what was
naturally present, when they returned after harvesting, would they then
only held you accountable for man made debris?

I ask this because I am a NC State Forest Service employee that has been on
many tracts prior to harvesting (at the request of the logger or
consultant).  I document what is natural and when we look at the tract
after harvesting I will ignore what I had documented.  Our water quality
regulations are not as stringent as yours. We require debris put into the
stream channel during a forestry operation be removed.  The thinking here
is, the debris causes a blockage, the stream will work its self around the
blockage usually by eating out the surrounding stream bank.  This puts more
sediment into the stream.  Our laws are primarily geared to reducing the
sediment impact on the streams of the state caused by forestry operations.

NC Lorax