Private Logging

jim logsdon jlogsdon at MAIL.GOWER.NET
Sun Aug 16 15:50:53 EST 1998

I have just moved to east-central Texas and am wondering about the
possibilities of logging on private land. I'm wondering if it would be
profitable to be a one-man operation and selectively log a piece of land,
then haul it to a lumber mill. How many acres needed to maintain a
long-term management plan? Is pine the most profitable? I saw an ad in the
local paper advertizing 74 acres of planted 12-15 year old pine for sale,
ready for thinning? Would there be a market for the trees that are thinned
out of this plot? Thanks for your input -- Brett

Journalism is merely history's first draft.