25' buffer around ponds

Joseph Zorzin redoak at forestmeister.com
Sun Aug 16 18:41:24 EST 1998

Mike Hagen wrote:

> This is a good topic for bringing up regional differences in how we "do"
> forestry.  The amount of land set aside for riparian function varies
> tremendously between jurisdictions and over different climatic
> conditions.  What are listers local rules and are they appropriate?  Are
> small owners held to the same rules as corporate forest owners or the
> Feds?  What about agricultural/ residential riparian regulation?
> Mike H.

Here in Mass. the state has published the Mass. Forestry Best Mgt.
Practices Manual, a slick water resistant and durable manual. I have to
admit that my "burros" produce some classy looking documents, pamphlets,
brochures. What they're really worth is another question. <G>

But, the BMP manual is pretty good.

1. why BMP's
2. planning
3. skid trails
4. truck roads
5. landings
6. hay bale and silt installation
7. filter strips
8. buffer strips
9. stream crossings
10. wetlands
11. vernal pools
12. rare and endangered species
13. seeding
14. before leaving job
15. forest chemical mgt.
16. prescribed burning and wildlife
17. MA slash law requirements

Now regarding riparian and wetlands, I'll make some brief notes as I
read through this manual.
3. skid trails *****************
- no machinery is allowed to operate in a certified vernal pool, it must
have a 50' filter strip
-no logging equipment in a filter strip except
-----to reduce env. damage which is unavoidable
-----at an approved stream crossing
-----on a pre-existing logging road
-----in filter strips greater than 50', beyond the 50'

7. filter strips *****************
-filter strips are required along all water bodies and certified vernal
pools
- no more than 50% of the basal area may be cut in the filter strip at
any one time
-the filter strip will extend 50' back from the bank, if a slope near
the water body is greater than 30% the filter strip is 100', for special
type water bodies of greater significance the filter strip will be
larger, up to 450'
-no slash can remain within 25' of any brook. stream, river, lake, pond
or water supply

9. stream crossings *****************
-detailed instructions and guidelines regarding poling, bridges,
culverts, use of hay bales, etc.

10. wetlands *****************
-roads built through wetlands are temporary
-wetlands must be operated when dry, frozen or otherwise stable
-maintain at least 50% of basal area in wetlands
-further instructions on operating within wetlands

11. vernal pools
-detailed instructions on operating near them

The above is just an outline of what the 56 page BMP manual says about
wetlands. As I mentioned above, I consider most of the state's
brochures, manuals an pamphlets well designed, although of questionable
value to the real world. They might be more valuable the real world if
published on the net.

Regarding your question on "agricultural/ residential riparian
regulation", I can't answer except to say that in general- agricultural
activities are not looked at very closely (farmers have too much
political power), and urban development is looked at very intensively.
You need an engineer on such work at it must meet numerous local and
state wide rules and regs.