25' buffer around ponds

Mike Hagen mhagen at olympus.net
Mon Aug 17 11:27:27 EST 1998

Sounds like you have a pretty good set of BMPs in Mass. If they are
based on practical experience, they'll work. If not, well...

Controversy in this neck of the woods arises when one group, such as
forest landowners has stiffer requirements than another group, say, of
real estate developers.  When they're on the same river people notice.
Some forest practice buffers are now up to 200 feet, OR to the edge of
the floodway OR to the top of the obvious break in topography, depending
on the exact local conditions. Residential setbacks are based on the 100
year flood line (FEMA map) and sometimes inadequate.  Ag setbacks appear
to be nonexistant or at most a single tractor width.

Personally, I feel that agricultural practices are more intensive and
intrusive than those of forestry!
Mike H.