question about pine seedlings

Mike Hagen mhagen at olympus.net
Tue Aug 18 10:59:34 EST 1998

I can add a bit about cloning.  It's been done with redwoods.  As I
understand the process, there's nothing very mumbo-jumbo about it, just
controlled vegetative reproduction. Cloning is just splitting a culture
of plant cells, then tricking them into developing into whole plants.
There's no genetic tinkering involved other than plain selective
breeding and Farmers have been doing that for a while now. With species
that don't vegetatively reproduce one grafts a cone bearing limb
(possibly from one of those super trees) onto a short but sturdy trunk.
You get a seed source you don't have to climb. Saves wear and tear on
the seed orchard workers.
Mike H.