question about pine seedlings

Robinson robfarm at bellsouth.net
Mon Aug 17 19:31:18 EST 1998

I happened to meet up with a forester from the Georgia Forestry
Commission today, I took the opportunity to ask him some questions and
got a lot of useful ideas. We were talking about replanting versus
leaving seed trees for natural regeneration. When we cut our land we
left seed trees, because I was under the impression that the seedlings
being sold now are all either clones or have had some kind of genetic
tinkering done on them. I've always had misgivings about that because I
believe that while "super pines" may make money faster , it's the
natural genetic diversity in all lifeforms that protect them from being
completely wiped out by one disease or bug. However, he said that all
they are basically doing is speeding up the natural selection process
with the seedlings they grow and sell. He says they started out back in
the '50s collecting seed from the best and strongest trees, growing them
out and culling the weaker ones , letting the strong ones grow and
collecting seed again, doing the same with the next generation. Now
that, I don't have a problem with, but before I decide to go buy
seedlings, I wanted to see if y'all can tell me if he had it right. I
know I have read somewhere about genetics and cloning work being done
with pines, but maybe it was just initial research. Whats your opinion
on letting trees regenerate on their own versus going in a and
replanting, for a landowner who wants to have a multi use forest for
hunting and  wildlife habitat as well as make money from the timber
sales?

Mike
--
Mike and Lorri Robinson