Seed Source

JimiFromMI jimifrommi at aol.com
Tue Aug 18 20:53:59 EST 1998

In article <V%fB1.124$wo.360368 at newsread.com>, "Ken Balliet" <klb at sunlink.net>
writes:

>Subject:	Seed Source
>From:	"Ken Balliet" <klb at sunlink.net>
>Date:	Sat, 15 Aug 1998 07:26:14 -0400
>
>I would like to try broadcast seeding Aspen and other "old field" species
>onto the disturbed soils in a harvest area to try and encourage its
>introduction to a stand being managed for grouse habitat. Anybody know of a
>reliable seed source in the northeast, Pennsylvania specifically, where I
>can purchase such hardwood or conifer seeds?  Thanks

If some Aspen is already present in the stand, clones will sprout vigorously
from the root systems once the cut is made.  These trees will by far grow
quicker than newly planted specimens.  The closer to a clear cut, the better as
Aspens are pioneer species.  Raspberries, and similar should also grow
naturally in the cut-over area.

I also am interested in establishing a small Aspen plantation for grouse
habitat.  Presently my "abandoned fields" are filling up with Russian Olive and
Hawthorn.  My initial thoughts were to collect some Aspen clones (root suckers)
and transplant them.  For the fun of it, I'll also plant a few Hybrid Poplars
("Miracle Trees"???) cloned from a stand nearby.  Planted 17 years ago, they
already exceed 35 inches DBH.  Supposedly once established they'll grow over 6
feet per year.  I'll let you know what my gubmint forester recommends when he
visits in early September.

Any thoughts out there?  There do exist some rather large stands of Populus
Tremuloides within a mile or two of me, but they just don't seem to be seeding
my fields.

As for pines, Ken, small seedlings usually can be had cheaply from your county
extension service of the USDA (the old Soil Conservation Service).  I've had
very good success "healing in" Norway Pines (Red Pines) and White Pines as well
as White and Blue Spruce in Michigan.  In my experience (which is limited)
deciduous trees (and Firs) generally need protection from weeds, rabbits and
deer.

Regards.