question about pine seedlings

Mike Hagen mhagen at olympus.net
Wed Aug 19 11:19:50 EST 1998

All we can talk about is what we have seen.  Out here, very little if
any new style genetically improved stock is showing up in the field.
The  local nurseries use methods (and very successfully too) that were
perfected in the 50s.

 This reminds me of a tour at a forestry lab which was doing real
genetic manipulation of redwood stock.  Outside the entrance to the
greenhouse there was a double line of oil drums filled with sand with
12ft redwood 4x4s stuck in them. Obviusly a tent or awning was about to
be erected.  However, we had just had a big pep talk on how genetic
engineering and cloning were going to grow cheaper, efficient and better
lumber, more rot reststant, etc.  The whole group looked at the 4x4s and
went, Ahhh!, and the guide caught on shortly after.
He admitted that they were not yet that good at the process.