Woodsmen of the World

William Hunt wjh at user2.teleport.com
Wed Aug 19 13:16:58 EST 1998

jnpbuck at aol.com (JNPBUCK) writes:
>  Has anyone out there heard of a fraternal organization called the Woodsmen of
>the World?  As far as I know, its like some sort of Elks club or the
>Freemasons...but for foresters or loggers.  I've seen several cemetary
>headstones in the shape of tree trunks with some inscription about Woodsmen of
>the World or IOOF (I think this stands for International Order of Foresters).
>I've searched the Web to no avail.  Any information or anecdotal stories would
>be helpful.
>Thank you.
>Paul Buckland
>Forester

	I think IOOF is "International Order of Odd Fellows", a fraternal
	order.  There is an IOOF retirement home here in Portland Oregon,
	as well as a couple of lodges.  I've also seen IOOF initials on
	old buildings, with a symbol of three links in a chain.

	I've also heard something to the effect that the headstone in the
	form of a tree trunk is meant to symbolize a life 'cut down'
	before it's time.  These were sort of popular around the last turn
	of the century.

	Another popular tree symbol from that time was a willow tree, meant
	to symbolize a new life rising from the old, ie, rebirth.

William Hunt, Portland Oregon USA		wjh at teleport.com