Seed Source

Robert G Weinberger rweinber at orednet.org
Thu Aug 20 01:32:14 EST 1998

>In article <V%fB1.124$wo.360368 at newsread.com>, "Ken Balliet" <klb at sunlink.net>
>writes:
>
>Subject:	Seed Source
>From:	"Ken Balliet" <klb at sunlink.net>
>Date:	Sat, 15 Aug 1998 07:26:14 -0400
>
>I would like to try broadcast seeding Aspen and other "old field" species
>onto the disturbed soils in a harvest area to try and encourage its
>introduction to a stand being managed for grouse habitat. Anybody know of a
>reliable seed source in the northeast, Pennsylvania specifically, where I
>can purchase such hardwood or conifer seeds?  Thanks

Starting Aspen from seed is virtually impossible.  However they are very
easily propogated from cuttings. Simply cut finger thick 6-9" long pieces
of Aspen limbs in the fall or winter. Keep them refrigerated and wrapped
in plastic until the soil temperature reaches about 40 deg F in the
spring.  Stick them in the ground, buds pointing up, to a depth such that only
one bud is above ground.  Put them on a 6' or wider spacing in moist well
drained soil, keep them protected from deer & livestock, and watch them
take off.
Bob Weinberger
La Grande, OR