Forest Certification (Long

Joseph Zorzin redoak at
Thu Aug 20 04:16:16 EST 1998

Larry Caldwell wrote:
> In article <35D05AF0.4466 at>, dstaples at
> says...
> > Who, Me?  I found the document to have several statements that I find
> > less than attractive, I was going to underline those parts for comment,
> > but decided to post it without comment.
> Certification doesn't seem to be a viable option for the small forest
> owner in the PNW.  When you only see one harvest on a piece of
> land in your lifetime, sustainability is a nice buzzword that is
> pretty much meaningless.  However, the large timber companies have large
> enough holdings that sustainability is pretty much automatic.  If the
> market ever starts demanding "green" timber, somebody will start cutting
> it.  :)
> -- Larry

I don't know about in the PNW, but both I and Karl Davies here in MA
have been around long enough to be doing our second harvests on the same
small properties. If a harvest is done properly, the same acreage can
have a second timber harvest on average in 15 years but as soon as 10
years. I have several now that - when I first saw them - they were very
mature- I only took out the truly overmature and culls and small trees
of the undesirable species. By 10 years later they were ready again and
I took out about the same volume. Although the per acre per year growth
is less than in the PNW, if the stand is mostly high quality hardwood-
the value is probably comparable per acre for the harvest.

Joseph Zorzin, Yankee Forestmeister
"Still, after 18 months and counting, the only forestry web page in the
otherwise sophisticated state of Massachusetts, the Athens of the
western hemisphere."
Henry David Thoreau