Forest Certification (Long

Joseph Zorzin redoak at forestmeister.com
Thu Aug 20 04:16:16 EST 1998

Larry Caldwell wrote:

> In article <35D05AF0.4466 at livingston.net>, dstaples at livingston.net
> says...
> > Who, Me?  I found the document to have several statements that I find
> > less than attractive, I was going to underline those parts for comment,
> > but decided to post it without comment.
>
> Certification doesn't seem to be a viable option for the small forest
> owner in the PNW.  When you only see one harvest on a piece of
> land in your lifetime, sustainability is a nice buzzword that is
> pretty much meaningless.  However, the large timber companies have large
> enough holdings that sustainability is pretty much automatic.  If the
> market ever starts demanding "green" timber, somebody will start cutting
> it.  :)
>
> -- Larry

I don't know about in the PNW, but both I and Karl Davies here in MA
have been around long enough to be doing our second harvests on the same
small properties. If a harvest is done properly, the same acreage can
have a second timber harvest on average in 15 years but as soon as 10
years. I have several now that - when I first saw them - they were very
mature- I only took out the truly overmature and culls and small trees
of the undesirable species. By 10 years later they were ready again and
I took out about the same volume. Although the per acre per year growth
is less than in the PNW, if the stand is mostly high quality hardwood-
the value is probably comparable per acre for the harvest.

--

Joseph Zorzin, Yankee Forestmeister
http://forestmeister.com