Forest Certification (Long

Larry Caldwell larryc at teleport.com
Thu Aug 20 03:41:23 EST 1998

In article <35D05AF0.4466 at livingston.net>, dstaples at livingston.net
says...
> Who, Me?  I found the document to have several statements that I find
> less than attractive, I was going to underline those parts for comment,
> but decided to post it without comment.

Certification doesn't seem to be a viable option for the small forest
owner in the PNW.  When you only see one harvest on a piece of
land in your lifetime, sustainability is a nice buzzword that is
pretty much meaningless.  However, the large timber companies have large
enough holdings that sustainability is pretty much automatic.  If the
market ever starts demanding "green" timber, somebody will start cutting
it.  :)

-- Larry