Forest Certification (Long

Mike Hagen mhagen at olympus.net
Thu Aug 20 11:37:55 EST 1998

I think the difference between Joes area and ours (PNW) isn't so much in
the rate of growth but the average size of a "small woodlot".  land
ownership in the west is weighted toward the very large and the very
small, without much in between.  Out here a forest owner must have at
least 10 acres to qualify for the tax reduction but the overwhelming
majority of wooded lots are 5.2 acres. Ten acre parcels owned by a NIPF
concern are common in some locations, but not all.  40s are relatively
scarce compared to the East and above that, NIPF ownership is
increasingly rare.

There has been talk of co-ops or grange style cooperation to market
'green' logs but if many of you have ever tried getting neighboring
landowners to agree on anything, you know the chances.  It's amazingly
easy for a savvy logger or procurement forester to divide and conquer
the neighbors on a nicely wooded hill.  I think only way certification
will work on small NIPF ownerships is to certify the forester, not the
lands, and then make it financially preferable to hire that forester.
How? Taxes? Subsidy? Grants? Base the whole scheme on watershed
management?  Ideas?
Mike H.