Forest Management for a newbie.

Tracy. E. Thieret thieret at ibm.net
Thu Aug 20 20:21:33 EST 1998

Folks,

I own a few acres (11) near the Adirondacks that is overgrown with trees
and I suspect that it would be prudent to thin some of them out.  One
area (a couple acres) is a small pine forest populated with trees spaced
every 10 feet that have green needles only near the tops (30 feet up or
so).  The remainder is mixture hard/softwoods with some LARGE multi
trunk pines (>1foot diameter each) and some moderately sized hardwoods
and a multiude of smaller (3-6" trunks) trees.

What are the rules to follow in doing the thinning.  Should I touch it
at all, leave it alone..  Keep the big ones and cut out the little
ones.  One tree every 20 or so feet....

I'm clueless.  There's got to be somebody on this list who knows more
about this than I do.  I've got a chain saw and I'm ready to go but I
want to do the right thing.

Tracy.