Forest Management for a newbie.

Joseph Zorzin redoak at forestmeister.com
Fri Aug 21 09:37:48 EST 1998

JimiFromMI wrote:

> I suppose this answer (provided by a qualified forester -- which I'm not)
> assumes that  your management goals are for obtaining future timber revenue.
> You must ask yourself and decide what your goals are for the land before doing
> anything.  Ideally, you would have a forester walk the land with you as all
> parcels do have their own uniqueness that can not be identified readilly over
> the web.
>
> A shit tree from an economic point of view may be worth its weight in gold from
> a wildlife or aestetic point view.  Even standing decaying trees have the
> potential of being "priceless" if for instance, your favorite bird is a
> woodpecker.
>
> What are your goals?

I agree. There are things besides timber. If done intelligently ya can
have it all, timber, firewood, aesthetics, wildlife, grow some herbs,
whatever. <G>

There are probably many private and burro foresters in your area, and I
bet most will be happy to talk with you at little or no cost. Talk to
all of them for diverse opinions.
--

Joseph Zorzin, Yankee Forestmeister
http://forestmeister.com