Forest Management for a newbie.

Joseph Zorzin redoak at
Fri Aug 21 09:37:48 EST 1998

JimiFromMI wrote:

> I suppose this answer (provided by a qualified forester -- which I'm not)
> assumes that  your management goals are for obtaining future timber revenue.
> You must ask yourself and decide what your goals are for the land before doing
> anything.  Ideally, you would have a forester walk the land with you as all
> parcels do have their own uniqueness that can not be identified readilly over
> the web.
> A shit tree from an economic point of view may be worth its weight in gold from
> a wildlife or aestetic point view.  Even standing decaying trees have the
> potential of being "priceless" if for instance, your favorite bird is a
> woodpecker.
> What are your goals?

I agree. There are things besides timber. If done intelligently ya can
have it all, timber, firewood, aesthetics, wildlife, grow some herbs,
whatever. <G>

There are probably many private and burro foresters in your area, and I
bet most will be happy to talk with you at little or no cost. Talk to
all of them for diverse opinions.

Joseph Zorzin, Yankee Forestmeister
"Still, after 18 months and counting, the only forestry web page in the
otherwise sophisticated state of Massachusetts, the Athens of the
western hemisphere."
Henry David Thoreau