What to do?

TREEFARMER at webtv.net TREEFARMER at webtv.net
Fri Aug 21 07:00:54 EST 1998

Twenty years ago we did in west central Illinois what your planning to
do in southern Missouri. I'm somewhat familiar with the area your
speaking of.
Regarding #1. We're looking at a minimum of 30 to 40 years on our
planted trees which includes White Pines and various hardwoods. If one
doesn't manage intensely your returns will be severely reduced. This
means going in and manually thinning and pruning every winter to some
extent and to a great extent at certain times. About half way through
the process one starts to feel that your return is based on your labor.
If you don't visit your land regularly, be prepared for theft and
trespass. This will be especially true if the trees get valuable. In
investing, the rate of return is generally positively correlated with
the risk involved.