women in forestry, affirmative action, fairness

Joseph Zorzin redoak at forestmeister.com
Fri Aug 21 06:19:10 EST 1998

posted in bionet.agroforestry- the place where everybody can practice
their first amendment right of fee speech and where the most critical
discussions on real policy issues of forestry, world wide, takes place

I'm a curious about what percentage of forestry graduates in North
America in the '90's have been women.

In my state of Mass. it seems like far more women have been hired in the
state burro-ocracy in the '90's than men. I sort of accept affirmative
action if it's done with some intelligence. But to use the word
"intelligence" in the same paragraph as "state bureaucracy" is not easy.

Here's the point I'm getting at. Let's say that 10% of the graduates are
women. Then it is reasonable that a goal of about 10% of the staff of a
burro-ocracy should eventually be women. But guess what? In my state,
most recent hires seem to be women. I think it may be the goal to even
out the staff so that half of the full time staff is women. That's
brainless if that's the goal- i.e., if the logic is that half the human
race is female so half the staff should be female, if only 10% of the
graduates in the field of forestry are women. It's dam unfair to the
males who want a career in the burro-ocracy. There's no logic to- and
this is coming from a card carrying liberal who BELIEVES in affirmative
action.

I also notice that some of the better jobs, higher up the food chain are
going to the females with little experience- even though, I know for a
fact that many male foresters with many years experience in the
burro-ocracy have applied for those jobs. I consider this extremely
unfair to those males.

Fairness is the goal of liberals. If my logic is faulty, please correct
me. I won't hold my breath waiting for state policy makers to jump in to
explain this. Or any of those lame politicians who act deaf, dumb, and
silent.
--

Joseph Zorzin, Yankee Forestmeister
http://forestmeister.com