Woman in forestry response

Mike Hagen mhagen at olympus.net
Fri Aug 21 15:27:11 EST 1998

Hope you've got your flame suit on for this one. You've gored one of the
most sacred cows in the civil service (is sacred cow sexist?) Maybe I
should say, sacred cattle, because AA is one of those brands that'll get
you  hamburgered if you stick out from the herd.

This is one of those unproveable issues.  If your hire benefited from
AA, the system's great. Of course you're the most qualified - You got
the job! If your the one who almost made it, and you've gotten lots of
attaboys from the boss, the system's screwed. And eventually you get off
the bus. As have a few others on the list, I've personally lost out on
promotions and new hires because I wasn't an "Affirmative Action
candidate".  It's explained as simply as that. Sorry Bub, that permanent
position is an AA. Catch ya next spring.

The only reality check I can think of: how many shelter incidents have
ocurred because AA personel were put in supervisory positions without
the fireline time to recognize danger to their crews?

And Sagola has a point. The Old Guard is still in place, paralyzed, but
breathing. And no one can get rid of them without changing the whole
ballgame and surplusing the useless positions. Sound familiar?
Mike H.