What to do?

LRLake lrlake at aol.com
Fri Aug 21 11:10:34 EST 1998

>ddd wrote:

>> Which brings me to my question.  My wife and I are tossing
>> around the idea of buying some land (in southern Missouri)
>> and planting some trees for our retirement.  We're in our
>> mid 30's now and hoping to retire around 60.  Our questions
>> are:
>>
>> 1. Is this approach (buy land, manage it loosely for ~20
>> years, then harvest) financially sound?  Would we do better
>> by sticking our retirement $ in CDs or would the potential
>> future timber sales offer a greater r

<snip>

You may find that you can purchase a tract already growing young trees for very
little more than you might pay for "project land".  This will save considerable
capital and cut the rotation time.  The result would significantly improve your
ROI; probably to 20% plus.

Lawrence Lake, RPF
Redding, CA