What to do?

ddd ddd at hi.there.com
Fri Aug 21 22:09:24 EST 1998

Thanx for the responses.  I appreciate hearing from those of
you that are able to contribute some meat to this group and
offer some experienced tidbits.

On Fri, 21 Aug 1998 03:38:49 -0400, Joseph Zorzin
<redoak at forestmeister.com> wrote:

>(posted in bionet.agroforestry)
>>
>> 1. Is this approach (buy land, manage it loosely for ~20
>> years, then harvest) financially sound?  Would we do better
>> by sticking our retirement $ in CDs or would the potential
>> future timber sales offer a greater return?
>
>Don't manage it loosely. Manage it intensely. Another consultant here,
>Karl Davies of Northampton, Mass. will argue that under good management
>you can earn a very high rate of return. He's been researching this for
>years. I have several of his essays on my web site and he's working on
>his own web site which will have hundreds of pages, a sort of Forestry
>Journal For the Rest of Us. I'm sure he'll have something to say about
>this. As regards the alternative of CD's- just use the old saying,
>"don't put all your eggs in one basket".

I guess some further clarification may be necessary.  I hold
a full time job with a company and am on a rotation plan -
new job, new location every two-three years.  As a matter of
fact, I'm talking to the bosses about getting my next slot
in Japan or some other international position.  This
rotation should go on for the next 10 years, at which time
I'll probably be fed up with it, quit the job and go on to
something else for me (and not an employer).

Unfortunately, this means that I will not be able to
physically manage the site too intensely over the next 10
years - perhaps visiting it 2 times each year.  After that
we may end up living on the site.  Thus, we are hopefully
preparing today for our retirement nest egg.  That is why
we're questioning the relative return on tree farming vs
other investment opportunities.

>But, in fact, there is Susan, a state service forester from Missouri who
>shows up here once in awhile unofficially. She is a pioneer amongst the
>service foresters. I'll give her credit for that even if I don't agree
>with some of her views. She is the only service forester I've seen here
>(and never an extension or SIP forester). I'm sure if she reads your
>message, she'll help you. If you don't find any consultants in the
>yellow pages or on the net search engines, I'm sure you can find the
>state forestry agency and either Susan or another will help you find a
>consultant. I don't have her email address handy. Perhaps someone else
>here knows it.

I'll hope to hear from Susan and get her input.

    NOTICE TO BULK E-MAILERS:  Pursuant to US Code,
    Title 47, Chapter 5, Subchapter II, p.227, any and all
    nonsolicited commercial E-mail sent to this address is
    subject to a download and archival fee in the amount of
    $500 US.  E-mailing denotes acceptance of these terms.