Phil phil at
Fri Aug 21 23:24:50 EST 1998

On Sun, 23 Aug 1998 11:31:51 +0100, georg at (georg parlow)
>1. it was said, that approx. 2000 out of 3000 u.s. counties has been
>declared disaster area by the USDA. the questions:
>who or what exactly is the USDA?
USDA is the Agriculture Department .The President is the one to
actually make the declaration. I'm not sure if anyone else needs to
>what are the consequences for a county to be declared *disaster area*?
>is approx. 3000 the total number of counties in the u.s.?
Generally more votes. When an area becomes a "disaster area" all sorts
of Federal money flows in. Or should I say back in after being shipped
out as taxes. It's a great way for political leaders to buy votes with
no expense to themselves and to look like they actually care.
>2. it has been stated, that recently a new law has been issued, that
>makes storage of food beyond the 30-day need of the household illegal.
>the questions:
IIRC this law is a myth.