Don't they give you guys at McDonalds lunch breaks?

Don Staples dstaples at livingston.net
Sun Aug 23 18:46:19 EST 1998

SolsticeCreek at my-dejanews.com wrote:

> We city folk, don't know jack about the forested lands we're flocking
> to; universally have a heap of distrust for government programs, But we
> are used to hiring experts, and paying for their expertise.
>
> I bought the 18 acres for recreation in Mid Missouri. Someone told me my
> walnuts were worth a fortune, another said It'd cost a fortune to clear some
> out of my way. One sawmill said the acreage is too small,(no, I don't plan on
> clear-cutting the whole thing!)  Another said he didn't have the saw to cut
> thru tree's that big round. Then someone said he'd take the land off my hands
> for far less than I'd paid , another said "Well, you gots to get them tree's
> certified by the State." And, like I said, I don't get mixed up with
> government agencies.
>
> So here I am, unwilling to be beholding to the government, and there you are
> bitching about women taking all your government jobs so you have to work at
> McDonalds. Where are we supposed to meet when you guys  feel you're due the
> respect of other professions, but won't pay for a one liner in the yellow
> pages? Ok, Ok, so your not going to get rich by advising one small client,
> but no one else is serving the small landowner either. And some of my fellow
> city folk will be coming to your town with bigger pockets than I.
>
> Sue Varri
> An equa-feminist

Darn, My kind of woman and I am to far away to help!  Much of what you
see on this group about politics, feminism, and government is a healthy
criticism.  With that you can blame us male chauvinists for all the
problems.

But, find a forester, state or private, and get a managment plan.
Walnut is a high value commodity if grade wood.  The song and dance you
have received so far is the product of buyers trying to rip you off.
There is no beholding to the Missouri Conservation Commission, unless
you sign up for one of the governement programs, which sounds doubtful.
We guys (and gals) are weakly represented in this news group, loud
maybe, but few.  Susan112 has addressed you on some of it.  A consultant
in Missouri is similar to Spotted owls in California, all a product of
State Propaganda (I'll hear from Susan on that one).  Acutally, the
state does a real good job in Mo, and the consultants are thin in the
ranks.

You have a commodity of value, first get it evaluated, second (or maybe
first, depends on how it works out) get a management plan that will take
your 18 acres where you want it to go.  And last, if the walnut is big
for the local loggers chain saw, have Susan112 send you a list of walnut
buyers in the area.  If in southern Mo, talk to Fajen or one of the
other gunstock manufactureres and see if they have a walnut buyer that
picks over samll tracts.

I'm a Mizzou grad, so take my advice with a touch of that fine stuff
that used to be served in the Stein Club, if your old enough.
--
Don Staples
UIN 4653335