What to do?

Wudman69 wudman69 at aol.com
Sun Aug 23 17:56:10 EST 1998

>Planting trees?  No.  Forget it.  You would be buying a lifestyle without
>much return.
>
>However, there is a big advantage to buying land with established small
>trees.  The current forestry establishment won't appraise a young
>plantation as worth much more than the equivalent number of seedlings,
>but trees take 5 to 10 years just to get taller than the competing grass.
>You can get a 10 to 15 year jump on your management plans just by buying
>somebody else's undervalued assets.
>
>Look for land with lots of 2 to 4 inch stems of commercial species in
>your area.  Any professional forester will come in and tell the current
>owner that the trees have no cash value, even though they are 15 years
>old.  20 years later they will be 35 year old trees, several inches
>larger and many feet taller.
>
>With a little shopping, you should be able to take advantage of someone
>who is either too ignorant or too impatient to realize the value of his
>holdings.

The above post is not indicitive of the Southern U.S.  Timber or timberland  in
the South is a viable and fairly safe investment.  Many areas of the south are
harvesting plantation wood on a 20-25 year rotation.  Here in Virginia, we are
commercially thinning stands of loblolly pine as early as 12 years of age.
Many investors are taking advantage of these opportunities in the South.