women in forestry, affirmative action, fairness

Karl Kulp kulp0001 at tc.umn.edu
Sun Aug 23 21:46:57 EST 1998

Joseph Zorzin wrote:

> posted in bionet.agroforestry- the place where everybody can practice
> their first amendment right of fee speech and where the most critical
> discussions on real policy issues of forestry, world wide, takes place
>
> I'm a curious about what percentage of forestry graduates in North
> America in the '90's have been women.
>
> In my state of Mass. it seems like far more women have been hired in the
> state burro-ocracy in the '90's than men. I sort of accept affirmative
> action if it's done with some intelligence. But to use the word
> "intelligence" in the same paragraph as "state bureaucracy" is not easy.
>
> Here's the point I'm getting at. Let's say that 10% of the graduates are
> women. Then it is reasonable that a goal of about 10% of the staff of a
> burro-ocracy should eventually be women. But guess what? In my state,
> most recent hires seem to be women. I think it may be the goal to even
> out the staff so that half of the full time staff is women. That's
> brainless if that's the goal- i.e., if the logic is that half the human
> race is female so half the staff should be female, if only 10% of the
> graduates in the field of forestry are women. It's dam unfair to the
> males who want a career in the burro-ocracy. There's no logic to- and
> this is coming from a card carrying liberal who BELIEVES in affirmative
> action.
>
> I also notice that some of the better jobs, higher up the food chain are
> going to the females with little experience- even though, I know for a
> fact that many male foresters with many years experience in the
> burro-ocracy have applied for those jobs. I consider this extremely
> unfair to those males.
>
> Fairness is the goal of liberals. If my logic is faulty, please correct
> me. I won't hold my breath waiting for state policy makers to jump in to
> explain this. Or any of those lame politicians who act deaf, dumb, and
> silent.
> --
>
> Joseph Zorzin, Yankee Forestmeister
> http://forestmeister.com
> "Still, after 18 months and counting, the only forestry web page in the
> otherwise sophisticated state of Massachusetts, the Athens of the
> western hemisphere."
> "In wilderness is the preservation of the world."
> Henry David Thoreau

At the U of MN, College of Natural Resources there is much more than the 10%
women that you hypothesize.  In the future I'll probably loss out to one due to
AA.

In a certain respect, its ok with me 'cause women have been so discriminated
against in the work place. My opinion, even if no one asked for it :-)