What to do?

Larry Caldwell larryc at teleport.com
Tue Aug 25 12:41:51 EST 1998

In article <35E1E4F3.6647B116 at forestmeister.com>,
redoak at forestmeister.com says...

> It doesn't have to be profitable - the pulp- as long as the upstream
> products are profitable- paper. If the paper companies own the pulp
> lands, they can play with the numbers and make it look profitable or
> NOT, depending on their accountants. But paper is a BIG business and
> always will be because you can't import ordinary paper from our "slave"
> factories in China, it's too expensive to transport- unlike those $150
> tennis shoes.

Did you hear about the pulp mill in Indonesia that went online a year or
so ago?  It's the largest in the world.  The mill itself cost $1 billion
to build.  I understand they plan to feed most of the trees in SE Asia
through it.

Plant those seedlings, kids.  Fifty years from now you'll have a lock on
the world timber market.

-- Larry