What to do?

Larry Caldwell larryc at teleport.com
Tue Aug 25 12:41:48 EST 1998

In article <1998082503124901.XAA09654 at ladder01.news.aol.com>,
bobndwoods at aol.com says...

> That is $20 to $30 per cord.  Roughly $54 to $80 per ton on the local market.
> Twelve year old pine pulpwood is only possible on the best of sites under
> intensive management.  But, it is possible.

Now that is weird.  I get shocked at the prices you poor suckers get for
stumpage, since here in the PNW we get 2 to 3 times as much for saw logs.
Then you turn around and tell me that your pulp wood prices are 2 to 3
times what we get here in the PNW.

Here in timber country, $30 a ton for pulp logs is considered a very good
price.  Everybody leaps into thinning and stand conversion when prices
get that high.

I guess the moral is that you should grow for local markets.

-- Larry