What to do?

Susan112 susan112 at aol.com
Mon Aug 24 21:18:07 EST 1998

TREEFARMER wrote:

>Susan, now that your into this discussion, what does your department use
>as a time frame for seedling to harvest for good sites, for walnut?

I don't know that there's a department sanctioned time frame.  I would think
that in intensively managed stands, you could be getting a partial return on
your investment with nuts and material from thinnings within 20 years.  Then
comes the dillema of trying to manage for nut production and timber production,
and the tendancy not to thin hard enough or soon enough...  A harvest could be
another 40 to 60 years or more depending.  Some are getting faster growth rates
out of improved stock but they're expensive and some aren't hardy enough out
here and freeze.

>Also, are any of those Missouri River bottom farms, that aren't
>protected by levees anymore, being sold?

I've heard of bits and pieces around my neck of the woods but it's nothing
you'd want to buy...If it's not levee protected it's probably a blew hole or
pile of sand and cottonwoods, landlocked or an island.  The Department actually
bought up quite a bit of bottom ground and a bunch more went into WRP as part
of flood buyouts a few years back.

Walnut plantations  wouldn't do well on those sites anyways due to the flooding
and competition from soft hardwoods and weeds.

Susan