What to do?

BOBNDWOODS bobndwoods at aol.com
Tue Aug 25 21:15:49 EST 1998

In article <MPG.104c6cc45b2812c79897b1 at news.teleport.com>, larryc at teleport.com
(Larry Caldwell) writes:

>> That is $20 to $30 per cord.  Roughly $54 to $80 per ton on the local
market.
>> Twelve year old pine pulpwood is only possible on the best of sites under
>> intensive management.  But, it is possible.
>
>Now that is weird.  I get shocked at the prices you poor suckers get for
>stumpage, since here in the PNW we get 2 to 3 times as much for saw logs.
>Then you turn around and tell me that your pulp wood prices are 2 to 3
>times what we get here in the PNW.
>
>Here in timber country, $30 a ton for pulp logs is considered a very good
>price.  Everybody leaps into thinning and stand conversion when prices
>get that high.
>
>I guess the moral is that you should grow for local markets.

Very good point.  Our sawtimber prices probably reflect the fact that a
Southern Yellow Pine is considered sawtimber if it is 14" DBH and has the
grade.  I bet your Doug Fir logs are a bit bigger.

BTW - I screwed up the post on pulpwood prices.  Pulpwood stumpage is bringing
$20-30 per cord.  But, that is only $7.47 - 11.41 per ton for stumpage.  Brain
fart.

Bob Miller
Alabama Registered Forester

~~~> The forest may be quiet, but that doesn't mean all the snakes have left.