What to do?

Larry Caldwell larryc at teleport.com
Wed Aug 26 14:48:00 EST 1998

In article <1998082603275100.XAA01044 at ladder01.news.aol.com>,
susan112 at aol.com says...

> Firewood?  I would think it would make lousy firewood, but then I'm used to oak
> and hickory  in the fireplace here.

Truth.  As firewood, it's not much.  As pulp it is in fair demand.
Interestingly, some of the old trees are being cut as peelers.  Clear
cottonwood makes a pretty face veneer, but it's too soft for cabinets.

> Morels are the edible of choice in the bottomlands here and they're usually
> abundant in the spring compared to upland sites.  Would the others you
> mentioned occur here as well or are they western species?

I've only been mushrooming a couple times in the south, and was
completely lost.  You have a vigorous fungus population, but it is
entirely different from the PNW.  However, the pleurotus ostreatus that
Daniel mentioned is a commonly cultured edible species, and grows GREAT
on cottonwood in moist environments, along streams and such.  It's a
large mushroom, and gives good poundage per log.  It is also very easy to
cultivate.

You should be able to find spawn on the web with no trouble.  Why don't
you innoculate a few dozen bolts and give it a try?

-- Larry