Cottonwood (Was Re: What To Do?)

dwheeler at teleport.com dwheeler at teleport.com
Thu Aug 27 01:02:48 EST 1998

In article <35E36A02.7943A4F8 at olympus.net>,
  Mike Hagen <mhagen at olympus.net> wrote:
> Much of this plantation is happening on worn out agricultural lands, not
> forest.  The RMZ rules are ag and the herbicide/fertilizer regime is as
> per ag. Now I've heard of this kind of Cottonwood culture as a bandaid
> for riparian zones!  It's obviously a good windbreak.  And when caught
> short, any wood in the stream is good, even Cottonwood, which decomposes
> so quickly its usually left out of restoration projects.   I'm
> suspicious of get rich quick schemes but this may have some good points.
> Anyone know of long term effects?

I can't answer all your questions. However, an article which ran in today's
The Oregonian (8/26/98, B7) might be helpful:

Potlatch Corp. Hopeful about harvesting hybrid poplars

	BOARDMAN - The Potlatch Corp. hopes to harvest 22,000 acres of hybrid poplar
trees near Boardman for pulp by the year 2000 if the coyotes don't get them
first.
	The trees are kept alive by a drip irrigation system, which delivers water
through rubber hoses.
	Coyotes, just like Rover at home, enjoy chewing on them, said Greg Uhlorn,
project manager at the Potlatch hybrid poplar probram.
	The hoses provide drips of water mixed with fertilizers at the slow rate of
three-quarters of a gallon per hour.
	Each poplar requires 12 to 15 gallons of water annually in the early years;
that figure stretches to 35 to 40 gallons as the trees grow.
	Potlatch's poplars reach 65 feet in their fourth growing season.
	Portland began its poplar project in 1994 with 800 acres of trees. By 1999
Potlatch hopes to have developed all of its 22,000 acres.

The above article was contributed as a courtesy by
Daniel B. Wheeler
http://www.oregonwhitetruffles.com