Cottonwood (Was Re: What To Do?)

Don Staples dstaples at livingston.net
Thu Aug 27 09:55:18 EST 1998

dwheeler at teleport.com wrote:

>         The hoses provide drips of water mixed with fertilizers at the slow rate of
> three-quarters of a gallon per hour.
>         Each poplar requires 12 to 15 gallons of water annually in the early years;
> that figure stretches to 35 to 40 gallons as the trees grow.

Curiosity makes me comment, at the slow rate of 3/4 gallon per hour, the
system delivers the annual requirment in 16 hours.  I must assume that
the drip is controlled for dry conditions, and that there is a limited
delivery time scheduled over weeks, or months.

Anyone have more information on drip systems for trees?  High value
species plantations (walnut comes to mind) may benefit from such a
system.

Don Staples
UIN 4653335