The Truth ISN'T Out There

Mike Hagen mhagen at olympus.net
Thu Aug 27 13:35:17 EST 1998

I'd think you'd get a more reliable rate of grade improvement with
intensive stand improvement.  A thinning at 20 years just doesn't get us
(PNW) enough cleanup to compensate for bear damage, mistletoe, rough,
windshake, snow break, internal rot etc.  Especially since the above may
or may not be localized phenomena.   As stand management improves
forecasting grade increase will improve.

 A limby 6" dib #3 saw Pulp sort hemlock may grow into 12" dib limby #3
saw Pulp. Douglas Fir, Red Alder and true firs certainly clear better
than Hemlock and Cedar but it's dependant on SO many factors:  forest
practices, site, exposure...

A cruise card with extra blanks for those individuals likely to improve
grade comes to mind.
Mike H.