What to do?

Susan112 susan112 at aol.com
Thu Aug 27 18:19:03 EST 1998

Dan:

The mushrooming business sounds great, but I have heard of a downside from a
guy locally who tried to grow shittake outside on oak logs as a business.  He
said the seasonal nature of the crops nearly did him in as he could not get a
buyer for just a couple crops a year. The buyers he encountered wanted so much
a week, every week, guaranteed or no deal.

He ended up constructing a building in which he could control tempurature and
humidity, a very expensive building.  Now he has year-long consistent
production and a viable business.   He said that sticking with it and  getting
to that point was very difficult for him and he felt that the people promoting
shittake failed him by not pointing out the downsides.

What would be the potential downside of the cottonwood venture for the
landowner I know who might be interested?

Susan