The Truth ISN'T Out There

KMorrisD kmorrisd at aol.com
Thu Aug 27 20:54:50 EST 1998

Don Staples <dstaples at livingston.net> wrote:

>On the other side, there are somoe mill people who are beginning to see
>a small resurgance in producing the larger log, and a market for the
>products (timbers) that can come only from the larger logs.

We get a premium for very high grade hardwood logs in the Northeast.  I'm
looking at the latest Sawlog Bulletin which has log prices from New England and
New York sawmills.  Specs and prices are all over the place, but here's an
example of what happens with a jump from select (14" tip, clear 4 faces)  to
veneer (16" tip, no defect) grade black cherry.  Price goes from $1100 to
$2000-3000 per Mbf.  Some mills are paying up to $5000 for veneer cherry.

So it pays to manage for premium grade, and to hold onto trees until they reach
their highest grade.  Grade value increase is much more important than volume
increase  in determining tree value growth on those trees that have very high
grade potential.

KMD