The Massachesetts Forestry Reformation of '98

Joseph Zorzin redoak at forestmeister.com
Sat Aug 29 04:13:18 EST 1998

posted in bionet.agroforestry and alt.forestry-

In another new thread, Karl Davies has posted a copy of a letter he sent
to our state of Mass. SIP non-forester.

Karl also made a copy of that, and a collection of messages from a
and a cover letter- and sent these items to all the consultants- about
130 or so.

The goal is to stimulate interest in further discussion about the need
for massive reform in the upcoming Massachusetts forester licensing, in
the SIP program, and the other topics we discuss here, and to encourage
other consultants to get active on the net. So far, it's only Karl and I
representing our state's entire forestry profession that speak publicly
here, to the planet's forestry community. No state people have showed up
here yet. I suppose they might consider it to be too hostile. <G>
Although- I'm quite certain many are lurking in the shadows, quivering
in fear of what it portends.

Sometime soon, the next act in this play, will be a posting on the doors
of the state offices a long list of reforms that are long overdue- the
modern equivalent of Martin Luther's posting his "99 Thesis" to a
cathedral door in Germany, which began the Reformation. That posting
will also be set up as a special web page and it will be the definitive
call for reform- a new era in Massachusetts forestry, where not an
original thought has come out of the state agency or the legislature in
the 25 years I've been observing it. I can only compare the state agency
with the Soviet Union in it's backwardness, fear of new ideas, lethargy
and vast waste of money. Much of the reform will have to initiate in the
legislature which up to now has remained silent. The world's forestry
community is wondering why? If you legislators don't like this, just
have the manhood to say so. Your comments will be appreciated. You
should keep in mind, that you work for us, the citizens of the state. We
have a right to your thoughts on this matter.

And.. let's not forget what President Thomas Jefferson wrote in the
Declaration of Independence, that sometimes a little revolution is
necessary when government has failed.

This revolution will fail if most of the consultants continue to watch
from the side lines. Our nation is a participatory democracy. Use your
constitutional right of free speech. Use it or lose it. Or do you enjoy
your role as a forestry serf?

The bottom line to all this is that the vast majority of forest in our
state is NOT properly managed, in fact most is mismanaged. Raising the
quality and quantity of good forestry is the goal and also that those of
us doing this honorable work out in the woods should be able to make a
decent living doing so, not just those who are 100% fully subsidized by
the taxpayers.

(please forward to any other consultants)
--

Joseph Zorzin, Yankee Forestmeister
http://forestmeister.com