SIP Ceilings on Forester Fees

Joseph Zorzin redoak at
Sat Aug 29 02:35:20 EST 1998

TREEFARMER at wrote:
> When one views "THE STATE" as one big company wanting to do so many
> acres for a set sum, this all makes sense. Trouble is they usually find
> someone to do it, even if that person winds up cutting corners. There's
> a big difference in TSI projects; yet all that's heard is about the guy
> who can do it for "X dollars per acre".  Only in agriculture/forestry
> does "prevailing wage" not count. I wonder how some of these state
> employees would like it if they had to competively bid with other
> subcontractors for their duties? Could a state subcontract one forester
> per county as compared to hiring one per three or four counties?

Karl and I have suggested that the state forestry jobs be put out to
bid. We haven't yet seen a rousing response from the state dudes on
this. I don't think it's a popular subject of discussion around their
coffee tables. <G>

Joseph Zorzin, Yankee Forestmeister
"Still, after 18 months and counting, the only forestry web page in the
otherwise sophisticated state of Massachusetts, the Athens of the
western hemisphere."
Henry David Thoreau