Futures?

Larry Caldwell larryc at teleport.com
Sat Aug 29 02:23:54 EST 1998

In article <35E367ED.C74E748C at olympus.net>, mhagen at olympus.net says...

> $52 to $57 per ton here for WH and DF pulp and they're fighting over it.
> Yee Haw!

Sounds like somebody got caught short meeting some futures.

Out of curiosity, is there anywhere that wood products are traded on an
open commodities market?  Can you go out and buy 100,000 tons of long
grain pulp futures, or is all of it private contract?

I confess I don't understand lumber marketing at all.  My brother-in-law
is a buyer for a lumber yard.  Last spring he told me wholesale lumber
prices doubled in about a 6-week period, while I was watching a steady
decline in log prices.

Anybody know anything about this?

-- Larry