Futures?

Larry Caldwell larryc at teleport.com
Sat Aug 29 12:48:05 EST 1998

In article <35E7CA46.46FA0164 at forestmeister.com>,
redoak at forestmeister.com says...

> On the 1 big sale I had last winter, the buyer had it all figured out
> ahead of time- where each log was going- and he had contracts signed for
> each log- to protect himself- passing the problem of the volatility of
> the market to those guys.

So is this all insider trading?  I've never heard of anything like the
Chicago Board of Trade for wood commodities.  Or are pulp futures traded
on the Chicago big board just like wheat and hog bellies?

Some of the big pulp suppliers are big enough to trade directly on the
board, if they wanted to.  Selling forward contracts and futures is a
pretty traditional way of hedging a volatile market.

-- Larry