Futures?

Joseph Zorzin redoak at forestmeister.com
Sun Aug 30 02:38:13 EST 1998

Ron Wenrich wrote:

> Marketing is also dependent on the quality of the timber.  Average timber
> brings average prices.  High quality timber brings very high premiums.
> Experienced buyers and producers know what the insides of a tree looks like,
> and can grade trees on the stump much better than other professionals.
>
> RDW

With my last big sale, one of the interested parties wanted me to show
him the lot a second time so he could bring along a forester for a large
veneer plant because that's where most of the value of the lot was- and
if he bought the lot he'd sell the veneer logs to that forester. I
watched in amazement as the veneer guy checked out all the good oaks. He
really could tell exactly how much veneer he could get out of them. It
was quite an experience for me to get to talk to a guy with that much
knowledge. And he has to get it right because so much money is involved.

The veneer guy pays the logger after he sees the cut log. If the mill
doesn't get what it pays for, that veneer buyer is history. But the guys
that can do this right make a very good income- but they have a huge
territory to cover, so they're on the road a lot. I think this guy was
from Columbia Plywood somewhere in NY state. Maybe you know the mill
since you're not that far from me. He or one of his associates probably
gets into to PA too.

Joe