Trees under threat.

Dana Hutchins Dana at Hutchins.org
Mon Aug 31 14:42:23 EST 1998

There is a fungus called Armillaria, also known as shoe string root rot.
The fungus has mushrooms which have been called "honey mushrooms," so I
assume this is the disease they are talking about.

Armillaria is a big deal because it affects a tree's root system.  A main
concern would be that the tree would subsequently be at a risk of failing
and hurting somebody.  You can look at the base of the trees to see if you
find any black, string-like material I believe are called "rhizomorphs" or
peel back the bark to see a white, fan like, mycelium (sp).

Take a look at http://www.wisc.edu/botany/fungi/armkey.html or search for
other links.