Forest Focus - December 2, 1998

Don Baccus dhogaza at pacifier.com
Thu Dec 3 15:56:19 EST 1998

In article <9bdf81bd&2.2.16.19981202182717.18ef20e4 at pop2.igc.org>,
 <wafcdc at americanlands.org> wrote:

>THEFT IN THE NEWS:  On Tuesday, November 24, ABC World News Tonite reported
>that timber theft on Forest Service Lands in the Pacific Northwest is
>rampant.  The show is an outgrowth of Government Accountability Project's
>case against the Forest Service for closing the Timber Theft Investigation
>Bureau.

I would hope the closure of this organ is something we can all agree
was one of the most stupid things to come down the pike in years.  Essentially
Congress evicerated the enforcement budget, presumably because they
were starting to actually bust folks for theft (there have been a
couple of high-profile cases here regarding theft by scaling fraud).

I can't imagine that theft by thieves helps honest forest products
companies, and as a taxpayer I find theft of public property just
a bit offensive...