Flushcuts

ckeene at dmi.net ckeene at dmi.net
Tue Dec 8 01:26:26 EST 1998

JP: I searched for a few sites related to pruning by searching on prun*
Here's one that talks about the changed thinking re - "flushcutting":
http://pine.usask.ca/cofa/departments/hort/hortinfo/trees/pruning.html
Here's another one with good pictures. Sounds like they also do not recommend
"flushcut" pruning: http://willow.ncfes.umn.edu/ht%5Fprune/prun001.htm
Go to http://willow.ncfes.umn.edu/ and do a search on prun* and you'll find
several other pages on pruning (mostly shade trees).
I didn't find anything related to the economics of pruning for better quality
wood. If I owned forest land, I doubt if I would prune conifers, but I'd sure
consider pruning some hardwoods such as walnut. I know when I was in Minnesota
in the 1960's the price differential between good veneer qualtity trees and
limby walnut trees was huge.
/s/ Cliff Keene