Flushcuts

HULTGREN arne at snowcrest.net
Mon Dec 7 23:20:39 EST 1998

<TREEFARMER at webtv.net> wrote in message
news:11667-366C846D-69 at newsd-152.iap.bryant.webtv.net...
>I'd like to see if anyone else can relate to this:
>
>The year before last several of our White Pines were attacked/killed by
>pine bark beetles. Last spring I found a lower live branch that had
>been attacked with some of the needles at the tips turning red. I cut
>the branch off halfway back to the trunk. The sapwood showed some blue

If there's any blue stain, the wood (or branch) is dead.

>stain. I then cut the limb at the trunk. At this point there was no blue
>stain. The tree seems to be doing fine now with no appearance of any
>more beetle attacks.
Bark beetles are ubiquitous (and even common). But which kind? I think Ips
will just work on the tops, and aren't always fatal. Dendroctonus
mid-to-upper and are often fatal if the tree is stressed. Red turpentine
beetles put out a oozy red frass around the base of the tree up to about 8
feet, and are usually fatal if present around the entire circumference. A
healthy stand is the best defense against beetles.
-Arne
Mt. Shasta, Calif...