C14 study

Armich armich at aol.com
Wed Dec 9 13:21:13 EST 1998

I read in a British forestry book last year that the hyphael connections of
mycorrhizia could be determined by injecting C14 into the dominant tree species
and using a Geiger counter to follow it. Fifteen species of forbs and shrubs up
to 20m away were emitting the gas within 2-3 minutes.I also read that the
hyphae can extend themselves 2-3 feet a year on a properly mulched site. The
implications are enormous. I think understory management may be a better
solution than the "buffer zones" they want to include in PL's Habitat
Conservation Plan. Richard McGuiness