NTFP: ginseng

dwheeler at teleport.com dwheeler at teleport.com
Wed Dec 9 11:41:56 EST 1998

In article <74jasf$poo$1 at testinfo.uoguelph.ca>,
  lmelvill at uoguelph.ca (Lewis Melville) wrote:

> : The slow-growing root, once harvested in the Northwest, is seeing a renewal of
> : interest and a rapidly growing market in the United States.
>
> 	Ginseng is also mycorrhizal (VAM). One shouldn't forget to
> mention that when grown in monoculture, ginseng is very vulnerable to
> attack by root rot, especially Cylindrocarpon destructans, which can take
> out an entire crop in days, making it a very high risk crop. The disease
> vectors remain in the soil seemingly forever, and a farmer can't use the
> same patch of soil for growing ginseng once a crop has been harvested,
> because the likelihood of disease skyrockets. As a result of the disease
> risk, farmers tend to dump tons of anti-fungal chemicals onto their
> crops. It is also an extremely high maintenance crop, requiring special
> sunshading.
> Mind you, intercropping ginseng in its natural environment (Carolinian
> forest) may eliminate the need for chemicals and minimize the likelihood
> of disease. Yields go way down, though.
> cheers. lew

Hmmm. That might explain why it was once a large crop grown under Douglas fir
plantations. Douglas fir is associated with my mycorrhizae than any other
tree I know of.

I'd like some additional opinions here, but suspect that gingeng may be V-A
mycorrhizal.

Daniel B. Wheeler
http://www.oregonwhitetruffles.com