save the trees! - headwaters forest pic

Joseph Zorzin redoak at forestmeister.com
Wed Dec 9 13:57:26 EST 1998

dwheeler at teleport.com wrote:

> It's truly regretable that Chain lost his life. But it doesn't change the
> reality of logging being among the most hazardous occupations on earth.

And it's also one with a great deal of political problems. One side
consists of billion dollar corporations and trillion dollar governments.
The other side consists of a small number relatively poor protesters-
who have no power against the other side with it's money and lawyers. So
the weaker side should just always give up? I'm not defending their
cause; but I am defending their right to civil disobedience to make a
point. And of course logging is dangerous. I've dropped a few trees
myself. That's not the issue. The issue is that some people practiced
civil disobedience and were punished out of proportion to their crime by
loggers who knew they were there.  Both sides bear some responsibility;
like all disputes, wars, and divorces; and I usually give consideration
to the weaker side.