Nature Conservancy President's message

Gnome 11 thopkins at thopkins.demon.co.uk
Thu Dec 10 14:16:39 EST 1998

In article <74p2c4$1o3$1 at lore.eur.sprynet.com>, John Tiffany
<formgt_mkt at sprynet.com> writes
>Not to burst your bubble, which I guess has already been burst, but I'm glad
>you found out this reality.
>
>Timber harvesting techniques just imitate nature, only we harvest the trees
>rather than have them die of old age or have them blow over, and in some
>cases once blown over, salvage them. The unfortunate part of harvesting is
>the acceleration of erosion caused by the removal of forest products. But we
>are getting a handle on this too and many loggers are trying to address this
>problem in their operations.
>ForestFair wrote in message

Are you being serious?

The problem of harvesting as you seem to put it is that you abort
nature, and not let trees grow, stand as snags, fall and fruitfully
decay.

A quotation.

Talking of original forests, the author of this quote says of the dead
trees in original forests:

"There was an abundance of dead wood in the primeval forests. As much as
one third of these forests was dead wood in various stages of decaying.
The dead wood was the natural habitat of lichens, fungi, beetles and
other insects. And, of course, bird life. Modern managed forests only
contain very small percentages of dead wood"

Is this from some tree hugging greenie dreamer? See below.

The author is Erik Normark, Chief Silverculturalist of the gaint Swedish
forestry and paper company, MoDo.

Source: 'A Search For Sustainable Forestry, a Swedish View', 1994,
published by Skogsindustrierna.

Skogsindustrierna (= Forest Industry) and is the Swedish Paper and Pulp
Association, who's members use about 70% of the total output of all
Swedish forests.

Jan Remrod, the Director General (=President) of Skorgindustriernia
makes similar comments elsewhere in the same publication.

--
Gnome 11